Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tamiflu is not for everyone!

Yes, the flu hit our house a couple of weeks ago. Jacob got it first and then so lovingly passed it on to me. I was so miserable that Jason had to take a day off work to care for the kids. In 10 years of marriage I have never asked him to stay home for me. So you know it had to be bad. He increased our grocery budget after shopping for me! :) The doctor put all of us on Tamiflu to try and prevent the spread. However, I had already been exposed to it so I was doomed. Madison and Jason took the Tamiflu too and stayed clear of this. I might add Jacob was the only one in our family that had had the flu shot this year so I was disappointed to hear it was a strain not covered by it. 7 days into taking the 10 supply of Tamiflu Madison woke up broken out from head to toe. I took her in and the Doctor was surprised. They initally told me over the phone they thought it might be fifths disease. But once they saw her they knew it was an allergic reaction to the medicine. She also had an inflammed, red, puffy ear. But she said it did not hurt and wanted to go to school. So I took her after the doctor appointment and about 3 hours later I get a call from the School saying she was crying in pain. So the ear finally because a full blown infection. Luckily, our pediatrician had written a prescription for an antibiotic. So not another trip to the doctor. You may be wondering why an allergic reaction...well we knew she was allergic to the flu shot because a couple of years ago she broke out after the flu shot. So she must take the flu mist. Apparently, there is something in Tamiflu similiar too the flu shot. So she will have to endure the flu the old fashion way. Tylenol and bed! So far she has not gotten the flu. My fingers are crossed!

1 comment:

Montie said...

Sorry to hear you guys have been sick too. I am excited to stay in touch this way. You guys look amazing and the new little guy is awesome. Matt says "hello" back.
Looking forward to keeping up. Love, Matt, Montie and Brady