
5, 10, 15, 20 years? Before having children I worked with a couple of large organizations. We had many team building activities and courses that we took during my career. I remember an activity that I had done several times. Many times it was done during evaluation time. We were asked "Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, etc. years?" I remember planning my career for the next several years and then also planning our family. I never really saw myself as a stay-at-home mom. I never really saw myself as a mother quite honestly. I had a bad babysitting experience growing up and thought I would only have my children coming out at age 3! However, after having our daughter I knew I was made to be a mother. What an honor it is for me to be the mother of two beautiful, healthy, loving children. I am very blessed to get to stay home with our children and raise them with morals I set for them not someone else. What I could never imagine or see for myself at the young age of 36 is caring for my husband much like that of a toddler.

Our life changed on June 16, 2008. Jason suffered a grand mal seizure at work. The call from his boss on Jason's cell phone was more than I could bare,so I thought. We were then informed by his physician that he can not drive for the next 6 months. WOW! Our prayers were answered with a ride everyday to work. Jason suffered for the next 2 1/2 weeks after the seizure with excrusiating shoulder pain. Finally, we had some x-rays done and found not one but 2 broken shoulders. After a visit with an Orthopedic Surgeon we were scheduled the next day for shoulder surgery. It was found that his left shoulder was actually dislocated and the right shoulder had a hairline fracture. So after surgery we were sent home. It was a long night the first night. He is in an imobilizer, which means he has no use of his left arm or hand. He will remain in this for the next 13 days. What does this mean for us...sponge baths, dressing him, helping out of chairs and bed, washing his hair, cutting up his food, etc. This is not exactly where I saw myself 10 years ago. I did have it in my plan when we were much older.
This has been very difficult sometimes. It is so hard to see him bound up unable to participate in family activities, like swimming, playing ball, playing the Wii, and helping with Jacob's T-Ball team. Jason has such a great attitude about all of this. I don't know that I would have such a great attitude. I think of everything I do every day now and I can't help but think I took so much for granted prior to this event. I have to believe that we are taking this path for a reason. Even though I don't know why now I know that I must remain strong for my family and know that it truly could be so much worse than it is right now. You are probably wondering why I am sharing this with everyone. Well, I am sharing this because sometimes we have our lives so planned out that we don't realize how fast your life can change. We are not in control of our lives. We have to be prepared for anything to happen. I am so thankful that I am getting to travel this path that God has placed us on. I am so thankful that I have Jason still here with us. I am so thankful we have such a great Christian Family at church. They have all been so supportive and helpful. I can't imagine not having this kind of love and support during such difficult times. I truly believe he was in God's hands during the seizure and God took care of him so we could still be together here on earth. Thank you! We still have a ways to go with this but I know that we will make it through with a much deeper relationship with God. Jason I know you will read this eventually, and I want you to know I love you very much and don't worry so much about me. I am just getting some practice for when we are retired taking care of each other.


4 comments:
Hang in there, Cindy. You are setting such a wonderful example for all of us as we watch you pull things together and do what it takes. PLEASE don't hesitate to ask for help though. I'm sure you need it!
Beautiful post Cindy. God knows you can handle it. You are doing such a great job. I can't even imagine. Hang in there!
Someday you will look back on this post and realize how much stronger you are b/c of what you had to go through. You're a great example to me. I always remember to think of you when I'm getting gripey about something. Thank you for sharing with us!
You are doing a great job. We will keep you in our prayers. When I can I take your kids?
Post a Comment