Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Keeping school fresh on our minds!

Statistics show that in the summer children lose a large portion of what they learned during the school year. I can't remember the actual numbers right off the top of my head. (maybe someone will read this and tell me!) So I decided to keep school fresh on Madison's mind and start Jacob on some basic skills. A couple of days each week we have done some what we call "seat work". Not too long because it is summer time and summer is for fun! But they have done very well and Jacob is anxious to go to Big School! I am anxious to see if this pays off during the school year. Madison worked so hard this last year and I am hoping this will make it a smooth transition into 2nd grade.


Hard at work.



Jacob working on numbers. Determine how many in the picture and then matching it up with the correct number.



Madison working on sentence punctuation as well as improving her writing skills.



Jacob cutting...which is one of his favorite activities!



Madison working on various activities to reinforce what was learned in first grade!


Hard to believe summer is almost over and school is approaching very quickly! I am ready to get back into some sort of routine.

3 comments:

Dana said...

I did go buy that book I saw you with at church. I really like it, but we haven't done a great job of doing it regularly. Maybe I'll have to dust it off again this afternoon!

Mike Morton said...

Cindy. My mom did this (she was a teacher) with my brother and I while we were growing up. I only remember doing it a couple of years, though. Worked pretty good for us. Did some writing or math for an hour and then done. Just long enough for that refresher and an hour was just long enough for focusing our summer minds. Good idea. Joel has started doing that on his own! Over-achiever... Must get it from him mother.

Cheryl said...

Cindy, What books are you using? Abby and Jillian love workbooks, but go thru the small ones at walmart to easily. We haven't been doing well on reading as often and I would like to get them brushed up. e-mail me!